I am no Rocket Scientist !!!!!

Experiments practically which involves tedious laboratory work has always been my dilemma, Even though it was a cake walk for my friends in high school, letting alone the pungent rotten egg smell of ammonium nitrate with sodium hydroxide along with those few brisk effervescences nothing lingers in my mind thus far, now then what about surface tension experiments ….Aaah that’s another set of night mares forgetting the fact one of the Hindu idols sucked in the milk, nothing else was as interesting as it sounds for me.

So the kitchen was no place for experiments for me other than a few plate presentation techniques or for that matter reproducing what my seniors in the cuisine eluded the most.

And so when I did come across the tools which would trigger my passion for adverse experiments in kitchen it failed to disturb my mind, when the need did arise it was completely a different scenario. Here I was trying to think different, but later I did find that even here I had sufficient amount of company who were already stardom of conquering, exploring, and rocketing to the future of culinary skills which I am confident that we are not far off on seeing these sets of experiments in our culinary schools.


After taking a look at the weapons (hydrocolloids) what my chef had in his arsenal I preceded further on knowing the need which eventually gave me a conclusion that I can also kindle my dying passion of experimentation in the kitchen and all I needed was a battle field . When the dates for IFCA (Indian federation of culinary association) contest were announced I decided to tinker with the arsenal on a bewildered mind.

Two weeks from then the demon inside me had already been woken and it brought with him an Einstein not to define the famous “Theory of relativity” But to explain the molecular phenomenon of diverse ingredients to my conscious.

Three El Bulli Texturas components along with those synergies and perforated spoons sans practice gave me an edge with my fellow competitors. Not to forget the person behind the mind who had it my “chef”.

Technology did help me. “You tube” bought me closer to the likes of Ferran Adrian and Homaro Cantu. After getting impressed with the latter when he made Morimotto bite the dust in “Iron chef America”. I did ponder on the fact why he named his restaurant as Moto in Chicago.

Finally the day did arrive after constantly working on the process of Sprefication to yield in caviars of mint and tamarind along with Soya bean I did innovate miso ravioli with shrimp and chocolate balloon wondering with the fact what am going to do with chocolate as an appetizer that is when I paired it up with a soup what more than a Apple moscovada frappe and not to forget that I even tried to gel in my dressing inside a sprefication process for a salad but the idea failed to reach the minds of my judicators.





Once the results were announced I did feel a bit deprived of the gold but a silver and a bronze did mend up my wounds and so at the end.My experiments in the physics lab did not fetch me the marks I was looking for but the experiments in the kitchen did take me to greater heights. Now I could say that I am a science student not that I ended by being a rocket scientist. Eventually answered my critics that even I can sure be one some day Rocketing far into the universe of “molecular gastronomy “.

















Comments

  1. Great effort and good results both in gastronomy and literature. Well done Johny. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man...we're eagerly awaiting updates!

    Loved the meal you put together back in February--top-notch stuff. You gotta come over here and teach our chefs a thing or too...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts