Fluke:a surprising piece of luck or Fish!!!!!


Some where in the Mid of 2004, I just don’t want to beparticular about the date, I had just got my self a new Kenneth Cole Suit aftera bit of shopping with my room mate Paul at the “Old city” of Philadelphia, andthe occasion was my very first date, And so the aura of spending was never inmy mind, It was a charming grey suit, at least that’s what my ex had pointedout, we had set off to a Restaurant called Aureole at Manhattan NYC,.

And, Thus as I sat down, not realizing that the next fewminutes of my life is going to have an experience that would savor me untilthis very date, Nah, it isn’t  my ex, Nahnot at all, It was something distinctive, something which I had always wantedto do, To taste a raw first grade seafood out from the hands of a Japanese chef,As I Looked at the menu the Name FLUKE just hit me, and below which an array ofother accompaniments were mentioned, as it arrived it was colorful but I wasnot expecting a completely raw fish, as it turned out it was, some radishsprouts were welted around it , Yet that was the only thing which looked cookedon my plate, to my amazement the first bite of the raw fish had a taste hard todescribe, But I can sure describe how it feels in your palate, it was gooey,had a slimy feel and moreover my mind was constantly interrogating my heart,How could I do this? (munching a raw fish), and to be precise as it mellowed itfelt a lot to be desired from the other morsels, It was a thin paper cut, wasaptly close to 40 F the wasabi is there to keep u safe of the escapedmicroorganisms, and there was a reason to all the accompaniments on the plate,They were certainly complementing each other.

The word sashimi means"pierced body this word dates from the Muromachi period, and waspossibly coined was considered too inauspicious to be used by anyone otherthan Samurai. This word may derive from the culinary practice of stickingthe fish's tail and fin to the slices in identifying the fish being eaten.
Another possibility for the name could come from thetraditional method of harvesting. 'Sashimi Grade' fish is caught by individualhand line. As soon as the fish is landed, its brain is pierced with a sharpspike; and it is placed in slurred ice. The flesh contains minimal lacticacid; it died instantly so it will keep fresh on ice for about ten days,without turning white or otherwise degrading.

The word sashimi hasbeen integrated into the English language and is often used to referto other uncooked fish preparations. But the two dishes are actually distinctand separate. Sushi refers to any dish made with vinegary rice; and, while rawfish is one traditional sushi ingredient, many sushi dishes contain seafoodthat has been cooked, and others have no seafood at all.

As it pans out In a Sushi
  1. One could use Nori ( seaweed)
  2. It has cooked Vinegary rice (Mirin)
  3. It would have some main ingredient , preferably raw fresh seafood, but as it went global much cooked stuffing emerged ( I remember the cowboy Sushi it was all but flank steak cooked over Balsamic)
  4. Finally it has to have the Wasabi, Rumor goes that the fresh seafood always tends to carry live micro organisms and thus the pungency in Wasabi kills the bacteria and makes it safe for the palate, not to forget its spicy zing.
For Sashimi
 Its simple just freshraw fish with its permit able characteristics, and as known will not Wasbi workhere as well,

The Fluke at Aureole was so fresh that the taste lingers inmy palate until this very day, and If you would contradict me that a Seared AhiTuna is the best, I would just ask you to try the Fluke and judge me weather Itwas completely a Fluke (Unlikely chance occurrence, esp. a surprising piece ofluck: "their triumph was no fluke".) and still if one dose not get mehere is a Eureka Statement Fluke = Flounder. 


Comments

Popular Posts