Fois gras the perfect appetiser!!!

The first time I had one of these all for my self was at Bordeaux, France. Even thou I have been kindling it every now and then, haven't had them on any remembered special account on the same.
The French specialty, pronounced "fwah grah," is often served as a complete organ or as a mousse or pate. More than two millennia ago, the ancient Greeks enjoyed the delicacy; it has since been served to French monarch Louis XVI, passengers on the Titanic and countless foodies.

Fans adore foie gras for its rich, buttery flavor. Chefs say it's a central tenet of their cooking repertoire comparable to caviar and truffles.As for me I was complacent to begin with,More to say I was all the more apprehensive about eating poultry liver, cos for me I hate the alum smell that it imparts, I have seen him on cans and pate forms that have always bewildered a yuck feeling, there is Myth about a chef who was a Kitchen helper in the 16th Century in France, He was aiding a great chef who prepared food for the royals, It was believed that one such delicacy was Fois Gras and hence there were trimmings and this was collected by the helper in his Torchon (Kitchen Duster) which he later enjoyed it after his work hours, and thus the myth of "Fois Gras Torchon",

As I was strolling down the streets of Bordeaux, I witnessed a farmers market close by, the smell in the air was fabulous and I could smell the seafood where ever I turn, the wines were plenty and so were the eateries, I witnessed waffle stalls on corners wind even tried one I just realised and In French soil and I better taste something special ; I need not have to put the thinking cap it was an easy deal , I'll stop by an eatery which is the most crowded and ask for their specials and they obliged with Fois gras Torchon , even thou I was apprehensive , I felt like giving it a go!, it had a compote of black berries with figs and a brioche to accompany , the first taste was so out Worldly I guess one cannot explain it but only relinquish it. It was fatty, creamy and there was sumthing to it which made me wanting for more.and thus the affair with fois gras begun which took me tantrums towards making even a brule out of it and that's even more majestic and the affair continues till this very day.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts