รักไทยแกง Rạk thịy kæng (I love Thai Curry)

Grave yard shifts,Sleepy heads,Cracked coconuts, bruised palms are all synonymous terms of my affair with Thai curries.

It was a brand new restaurant of a five star hotel, I was one among the chosen ones to work for this Multiple Cuisine eatery;I had to remember each one of the 24/7 menu, as I was an able one and the one which my mentor had high hopes on, It was sheer to my mentors charisma, that I chose to work for him as I would gain abundance on knowledge in coming year,

Just that a year before, I was simmering Soups of mostly exotic blends,thanks to the same mentors who picked recipes from various books just to tease my curiosity, Even as I was elevated on handling the European the patten prevailed.

The new 80 cover seater had cuisines covered from every corner of the globe, leaving out the Classic Dragon cuisine untouched as it already boasted a speciality restaurant, Yet the oriental flair was up for grabs as my superior mentor had a variable liking to the authenticity involved in it, we had a special instructor for couple of days to show us the techniques and secrets involved in producing a delectable indulgence which would ravish every taste bud which craves for curry.

The process was never going to be simple we managed to churn out or say grate 50 odd coconut shells, to the grated coconuts all we were asked to is add only 10 cups of Hot water, after which the squeezing of the pulp starts instantly, the residue is again repeated to get a diluted extract, So much for just making the base.

Red, Green, and Yellow are the colors of the three most popular Thai curry pastes. These taste-explosion pastes work with everything from Thai meat dishes to vegetables and seafood - even noodles, these pastes contain aromas similar to that of an Indian masala mix, yet it stays true to its geographical head quarters.

An appreciative amount is required to be blend in and simmered till the oil oozes out and the melodrama begins, it's later adjusted with the diluted extract, But before that slivers of Chicken or Whole prawns or at times even vegetables are simmered and finished off with trimmings of Bamboo shoot and Pea brinjal and not to forget the final aromatic influence of what the Kaffir lime leaves brings to the apparel, the spice can be spiked with Lozans of Red chilly and green chillies.

An ideal pairing would be steamed rice,but I had better options, early morning,half sleeps,tiring night shift coming to a close what do I see? Idly (south Indian Rice cakes) that's right, Hot steaming Idlys as it pops out from the steamer of the 24/7 restaurant, and that's the love I fell for 12 years ago, the saga continues ...

Picture: courtesy Londonchow.com

Comments

Popular Posts