The plank of my life !! #Salmon


When one enters the culinary school the aura in the air is to become an aspiring chef in the distant yet close future, I still remember the first day of my college practicals where the very first recipes still tingle in my taste buds; It ain't an exaggeration when I say that I still feel the crunchiness of the carrots in my curd rice; and the masala aroma what the channa masala brought forth to a spectacle of a combination which still dazzles me until this very day.

As college subdued, trainings and culinary journey took me to various hinderances, where I got mesmerised far too many a times  on natures gifts: the sole raw materials of cooking; One such enigma is "The salmon",

The seeds were sowed by my culinary mentors at a uniquely interactive Barbecue session conducted by Chef Soundarajan  at Zest Big beach,where Chef JT Handy pit master from USA taught us the art of Barbecuing and plank grilling.

Thanks to the tasting session which followed, it opened my the aura once again and this time, I was skilled enough to try it my way and excel towards amazing myself once again.

After a round about fishing from the local river bed at Ketchikan Alaska, got a reasonable catch , as the Alaskan IPA was chugging down, I decided to my skills on plank grilling to its test, 

Prepared the plank by soaking it for an hour in a bucket or cooler filled with water. To this I added 1 cup of white wine, apple juice, placed my filleted salmon with a bit of rock salt and sprinkled some of the Kahlua which was on my stash, mixed some Kahlua with maple syrup felt it would add up to it and with no further adieu we all were starving after chugging around the Alaskan summer barbecue, 

As I went to dig in, I realised I had rediscovered myself and all my friends who were at the Barbecue, culinary masters in their own standards felt that this was their best salmon ever, and that to me not only brought joy, but made me ponder on the fact that trade once learnt from experienced mentors would live long to cherish and make every soul around us happy. 


Plank grilled salmon with Maple Kahlua sauce happens to be my favourite for reasons above.

Comments

Popular Posts